He was the boy next door
she'd hear the gate creak, midmorning
peer out secretly through the canopy of green
He was all she ever thought about at nights
when the lights were all she saw
She had dreams once
of everything falling into place
He was the boy next door
He was the boy out of reach
He went away,
but he came back
A changed young man
with hair a little longer
character a little stronger
(or was he weaker?)
faint smell of cigarette smoke
lingering and
she was scared
She'll always remember
that night on the swing
the full moon,
an eye-opener,
feelings of despair
Could she have done something?
Said something?
Now she'll never know.
He was the boy next door
though not always present
he would be there if ever needed-
a big brother
Until suddenly
he disappeared.
Hold on tight to the ones you love
Tell them you love them,
tell them again and again and again.
Embrace all you have
It still hurts me
You still hurt me
I wish you knew
where to step in
and where to go away.
But i'm not the sort to tell.
I just wish you knew
because it's hurting me.
You're hurting me..
And i think you know.
But i'm going to let go of all i feel
let it tear me up inside
I'll let you numb me
Because i don't have the strength to care, anymore.
I never even got to say
-goodbye